Sunday, December 21, 2008

On the first night of Hanukkah....

!!!!! Grammy (Don's mom) is Jewish. She grew up celebrating all of the Jewish Holidays. I asked her if this year she would teach my kids about Hanukkah and celebrate it with them. So, we are celebrating Hanukkah this year. One day when Katie was in school, Alex and I went and bought some menorahs and the candles. We've been lighting our Advent wreath for 3 weeks now, and they've been excited to get to light the Menorah too. I didn't know that each night the candles on the Menorah are supposed to burn all the way down. I figured it was like our Advent wreath and you'd just blow them out. Tonight, we learned a little bit about Hanukka, lit the Menorah, opened the first Hanukkah presents, and played Dreidel. Tomorrow we will lite the Menorah, search for Gelt and make Latkes. It's really fun to see Grammy so excited and for the kids to get to learn more about the Oppenheim side of the family. Katie is a really lucky game player. She won the Dreidel game. Here's a quick video.

2 comments:

Sportpics4U said...

How exciting. That is too cool. HAPPY HANUKKAH!!

Michelle said...

I think it's great that your kids are learning about Hanukkah. Avry brought home her Dreidel game from Mrs. Ferraro and I said that I didn't know that Mrs. Ferraro is Jewish. Avry said... she's not, she grew up Spanish.