Monday, April 25, 2011

Who do you sometimes compare yourself to?

2.  Who do you sometimes compare yourself to?
There are a ton of people I compare myself to for different reasons. 
First, I compare my self to my mom. I often wonder how she was able to be so calm with us kids all of the time.  What did she do when she was a stay at home mom? Am I showing my own children the same kind of love that she showed us? I compare myself to her is good ways too.  I tend to notice the differences between our lives and things how things are done.  For example, I prepare meals in a completely different way than she did, but still serve a few of the same dishes that she did. She didn't have nearly as many outside the home activities as I do.  Was she satisfied?  There are so many times I wish I could talk to her about her life when she was my age. I guess I find it intersting to think about how we are alike and how we are different.
I often find myself comparing my accomplishments with newsmakers.  I'm always impressed when someone my age or younger has made great contributions to the world or has become very successful in their career. It's not that it makes me feel bad about myself, I just find myself taking some time to contemplate my own successes.  I usually end up thinking about my greatest successes, Katie & Alex. Although it does make me wonder what I could accomplish if I put my mind to it!
I also compare myself to my friends.  I have thought about how our families are different, our life styles, and interests, accomplishments and marriages.  I have learned so many things from the people in my life and been inspired to change in little ways.
Food for thought!

No comments: