Monday, February 1, 2010

What a morning!!!

So this morning started out as the usual Monday morning at the Oppenheim house.  Katie is hard to get out of bed and pokey about getting dressed and ready to leave.  I was in the Kitchen packing the kids' lunches when Katie come out and tells me that Alex flooded my bathroom.  OF COURSE!!  Yep, he tells me with tears in his eyes, "Mom, I used too much toilet paper and I couldn't get it to go down and then water started coming out and there is water everywhere." His pants and underwear that he left on the floor are soaked and there is a HUGE puddle of water on the floor.  *sigh*  Of course he chose to use my bathroom and not his.

So, I went out to the garage and grabbed a few towels to start cleaning up the mess.  Then I called Don to figure out how to get the wet/dry vacuum to be a wet vacuum.  I was on the phone, in the garage getting the vacuum together, and of course the kids were out there with me.  Just as I had the vacuum ready Katie tried to open the door.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME???  The door back into the house was LOCKED!  Luckily we had a spare set of keys to the front door in the garage and I was able to get in (after opening all 3 locks on the front door).  Niether kid will admit to locking the garage door. 

Once I finally got in with the vacuum I was able to get most of the water up, throw a few more towels on the floor and take the kids to school.  I only wish I was calm with the kids and not a yelling maniac. Katie was only a little bit late.  By the time I got home after taking Alex to school, I could almost laugh about the morning.  When I got home, there was only a little mess left to clean, the towels I had left on the floor had absorbed the rest of the water.  So, now I'm sitting here retelling my story and all the towels and bathmats are in the washing maching. 

Let's hope the rest of the day goes better than our morning.

2 comments:

Almen, Almond, or Almendra said...

wow.happy Monday to you! It's only up from there right? It's 5 o'clock somewhere!

Michelle said...

I can laugh at this story because as I write this my toilet is clogged an I think all 3 kids contributed. Luckily though we're not locked out of the house too. Being a Mom is always an adventure!